Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day



We had a great Father's Day hanging out by the pool at our friends house after church. DJ loved his gifts and the girls loved giving them. It was just fun to spend time together. On Saturday, I had gone to visit my own dad. That's him pictured above with his newly re-done classic Impala. He loves that car! In the background is the chicken farm that he recently sold and moved from. He did not love that farm, so being done with that was definitely a good thing!

We found out a couple days before Father's Day, that his cancer has returned. What we thought were repercussions from his recent heart attack and pneumonia were actually signs of the cancer in his lungs. What a crapper, ya know? I wanted to feel sorry for myself and cry about the news that had come so close to the day we celebrate fathers. I wanted to dwell on the evil irony of it all. But I didn't. We visited like nothing was wrong with him. We talked light heartedly about the garage he's having built (for the car!) and the other projects around his new house. I thought of DJ, who lost his own dad to cancer when he was just 12. I decided to focus on the fact that I do still have my dad. His name is Verlin and he's the greatest. I am believing for a miracle. Cancer is certainly not bigger than God! Thank you for agreeing with me and lifting him up in prayer as he begins this battle.

2 comments:

  1. i will pray for your dear dad, thanks for letting us know.
    God is bigger than cancer {and the boogey man}.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about the news. But, you are very right, focusing on living because outcomes are never just one way. He can beat it again or God will heal him in Heaven. You just never know. The only you can do is be family while he is physically with you.

    I miss my Dad every day, but the fleeting moments usually end with a smile because I remember something about him that makes me laugh.

    Please let Verlin know his Bville friend is thinking of him and praying for him. And, I'll be praying for you, as well. It isn't an easy walk for a daughter, but through Christ it can be done!

    ReplyDelete